Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Who remembers doing show-and-tell in kindergarten?

Everyone hated standing in front of the class, but we all had to do it and if you were really lucky, showing off your cool new toy gave you some serious street cred on the playground.

By the time first grade rolled around your were happy to bury the memories of show-and-tell hell and those memories stayed there until middle school when the teacher introduced a whole new level of torture know as the speech.

Instead of standing in front of a room full of six-year-olds who were generally interested in hearing about your new dog or the latest Pokemon card, you had to look cool and sound confident in front of a group of people whose judgment could seriously affect your social status for the next six years until you could escape to college. That's when the real stress began.

You realized that public speaking wasn't a one-and-done. You were suddenly facing the very real possibility that you would be doing speeches for the rest of your life. High school, college, and even in the working world. Presentations to clients and trade groups loomed in your future and you were horrified to discover that you would never be free from this dreaded task. But you know what? It doesn't have to be that way.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Lessons in Leadership

Monday morning started with me dragging my husband out of bed (it was his day off) to help me move the two feet of snow plowed up at the end of the driveway so I could go to Nashua.

One of my goals this year is to learn about leadership. I want to define what makes a person a good leader and what it takes for someone to become a good leader.

I'm not even sure it's something that can be taught, but I'd been invited to hear Rocky Romanella, former CEO of UniTek Global Services, present a talk called "Be A Great Leader: Inspiring & Empowering Others To Do Their Very Best" in advance of his upcoming book launch and it was going to take more than two feet of snow to stop me.

I'd done my research and knew that Romanella had worked his way up from a dock loader to the C-suite and I'd seen some of his videos and knew he was an engaging speaker who relied on stories and personal anecdotes rather than his slide deck to share his message, but I wasn't sure if his corporate experience could be packaged into a one-hour how-to session that people could take home and apply to their own lives.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Lessons in Leadership

Monday morning started with me dragging my husband out of bed (it was his day off) to help me move the two feet of snow plowed up at the end of the driveway so I could go to Nashua.

One of my goals this year is to learn about leadership. I want to define what makes a person a good leader and what it takes for someone to become a good leader.

I'm not even sure it's something that can be taught, but I'd been invited to hear Rocky Romanella, former CEO of UniTek Global Services, present a talk called "Be A Great Leader: Inspiring & Empowering Others To Do Their Very Best" in advance of his upcoming book launch and it was going to take more than two feet of snow to stop me.

I'd done my research and knew that Romanella had worked his way up from a dock loader to the C-suite and I'd seen some of his videos and knew he was an engaging speaker who relied on stories and personal anecdotes rather than his slide deck to share his message, but I wasn't sure if his corporate experience could be packaged into a one-hour how-to session that people could take home and apply to their own lives.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Love it or hate it, the fact remains the same, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, typically referred to as Obamacare or ACA, has created a lot of headaches for sole proprietors, and with this year's tax penalty for not having ACA-compliant insurance at 2.5% of your household adjusted gross income[1], those headaches have gone from being a gentle throbbing in your temple to an ice pick in your brain.

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
  • What has to be covered to avoid tax penalties?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Love it or hate it, the fact remains the same, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, typically referred to as Obamacare or ACA, has created a lot of headaches for sole proprietors, and with this year's tax penalty for not having ACA-compliant insurance at 2.5% of your household adjusted gross income[1], those headaches have gone from being a gentle throbbing in your temple to an ice pick in your brain.

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Bouncing off the walls like a 6-year old hepped up on chocolate

As we wrap up the first week of the new year all I can say is wow. Every day this week has been a networking adventure and it's only week 1.

I started the week with the new NH Business Partner Finders group on Monday, Coffee Buzz on Tuesday, Millyard Networking and the Spanish Conversation group on Wednesday and that was just the tip of the iceberg.

I met so many new people this week that I'm in overwhelm. My phone is ringing off the hook. People are texting, emailing, and connecting all over the place and I am bouncing off the walls like a 6-year old hepped up on chocolate.

Read full post »