Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Since the STEAM calendar encompasses a wide variety of activities from art to tech to science I thought I'd take a minute to give a sneak peek to two upcoming events from both ends of the STEAM spectrum.

The first event is a workshop from artist Susan E. Hanna called "Presenting Your Art Professionally." The presentation will include a slideshow and discussion on how to present your art at indoor and outdoor art shows.  The event is Sunday, July 22nd from 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM at Jupiter Hall, 89 Hanover Street in Manchester.  The cost is $10 in advance, $15 at the door. 

While you're at Jupiter Hall, be sure to check out Art Social Manchester's pop up gallery.  In addition to works from local artists, there will be live music performances throughout the day by talented local musicians! The pop-up gallery is a free event. 

On the science & tech side of STEAM the SBIR Road Tour will be returning to Manchester on Thursday, August 23rd. 

The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program is a federal program "created to support scientific excellence and technological innovation through the investment of federal research funds in critical American priorities to build a strong national economy ... one business at a time." (click here for details)

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

The Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce announces the recipients of the 2018 Business Grants for Teachers!

It's no secret that I think the Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce is the bee's knees when it comes organizations that find the perfect balance between supporting local business and building a better community.

Among the many Chamber programs, Business Grants for Teachers provides a way for the local business community to make a difference to today's students and tomorrow's leaders. 

Congratulations to the teachers who received education grants from the Concord Chamber of Commerce.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Did you know there are 12,500 dairy cows producing $50,778,000 worth of milk in New Hampshire?  Our family farms may not be big business, but when you think about their combined efforts, it's a lot of hay. (The state grows 77,000 tons of hay worth $9,478,000 too.) In fact, our state's small farms are a local source for a surprising amount of fresh dairy, meat, and produce. 

Which brings us to the question of why the heck I'm talking about farming. 

A lot of the groups on the STEAM calendar are on a summer hiatus, so I thought I'd take a minute to talk about an upcoming agricultural event from the folks at The Lakes Region Food Network (LRFN).

We spend so much time talking about technology it's easy to forget New Hampshire is home to 4,400 farms raising cattle for beef and dairy as well as chickens, hogs, and a huge variety of crops. I have no idea if farming falls under science, tech, engineering, art, and math or regular old business, but I suspect it's science so I'm going to talk about it here. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Since four of the eight events on next week's NH Business & Networking Events calendar are from Toastmasters International, I thought it would be nice to give a shoutout to our local New Hampshire chapters.

For anyone who isn't familiar with Toastmasters International, they are an organization of speaking clubs founded by Ralph C. Smedley in 1924 to help people improve their speech and become better leaders.

It doesn't matter if you are a construction foreman, salesperson, or business owner, at some point or another most of us are going to have to communicate with a team.  This is where Toastmasters shines. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

An impressive week of business & networking events! 

The STEAM calendar may be slowing down for summer, but the regular business & networking calendar seems to be heating up.  In addition to the regular weekly and monthly events, the push continues to bring millennials into the fold with StayWorkPlay's survey reveal road tour and the 4th Annual Next Generation Networking event.

Women Connecting With Women (WCWW) is back on the calendar this month as well. They are meeting 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM on Wednesday, June 20th at Tax Services of Londonderry 1 Commons Drive, Unit 18, Londonderry, NH. Please see the WCWW event page on Facebook for more information about this group.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: Why Does Your Customer Hire Your Product? Design Thinking Using Jobs-to-be-Done

Business 101 says you need to know your customer 

• Who they are
  • What they want
  • What they need

This should be a slam dunk, right?  Knowing your customer should make it easy to build products they will buy. 

So why do we struggle?

Why is there such a disconnect between the designer who wants to innovate and the client who just wants to push a button? 

Maybe someone should be asking why they need it...

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

The NH High Tech Council is looking for applicants for the 2018 Entrepreneur of the Year program -- Deadline Friday, May 4, 2018

Now in its 30th year, the prestigious NH High Tech Council (NHHTC) Entrepreneur of the Year Award "honors people who have made significant contributions to the advancement of technology-based businesses in New Hampshire."   

NHHTC is seeking "any founder or senior-level manager of a New Hampshire business who has successfully organized, developed, or managed a technology concept into a commercial product or service"

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

City Arts Nashua and Nashua Arts Commission raise ~ $12,000 for Performing Arts Center Endowment Fund  at 5th Annual Meri Goyette Arts Award Luncheon

I'm going to say this as plainly as I can, businesses may bring jobs, but the arts build communities. 

Last week, City Arts Nashua held the grown-up version of a bake sale. They held an awards luncheon to raise money for the new Nashua Performing Arts Center and raised a staggering $12,000. 

As a state, New Hampshire struggles to attract and retain young workers because even though we have a low unemployment rate and enjoy a fabulous quality of life, we lack many of the amenities found in large cities. 

And when I say amenities I mean the arts. 

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about theatre, fine art, dance, music, or poetry, the arts bring balance and beauty to a hectic world. They bring people together to share the experience and build something greater than themselves and people want these experiences after a hectic day.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Do some networking & get those creative juices flowing with the New Hampshire Creative Club!

Hello NH Creatives! 

The New Hampshire Creative Club is back on the schedule with an open networking event, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Monday, February 26th at The Farm, 1181 Elm Street in Manchester.

According to New Hampshire Creative Club president Jim Roldan, "Members are typically graphic designers, web designers, illustrators, photographers, copywriters, art directors, educators, marketers, and some vendors and students of those disciplines. "

Read full post »