Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

July Women Connecting With Women meeting at Ideal Health, LLC on Wednesday, July 18th!

If you are a businesswoman looking to network with other businesswomen in a friendly, supportive environment, Women Connecting With Woman might be a good fit for you.

The group meets from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM on the third Wednesday of the month. Each 2-hour meeting is usually hosted by a different member each month and includes open networking in a relaxed setting.  (Yes, there will be food!)

The next meeting is Wednesday, July 18th at Ideal Health, LLC 170 S. River Road, Bedford, NH. For more information, please visit the group's Facebook page.

Also this week, the Concord Young Professionals Network (CYPN) and the Greater Derry Londonderry Chamber of Commerce are both hosting an evening of baseball and networking with the Fishercats at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium on Tuesday, July 17th.

The groups have conflicting start times for the events and the first pitch, but it looks like the correct time is 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM.  This doesn't appear to be a joint event, so you'll want to check each group's event page for ticket information.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Since the STEAM calendar encompasses a wide variety of activities from art to tech to science I thought I'd take a minute to give a sneak peek to two upcoming events from both ends of the STEAM spectrum.

The first event is a workshop from artist Susan E. Hanna called "Presenting Your Art Professionally." The presentation will include a slideshow and discussion on how to present your art at indoor and outdoor art shows.  The event is Sunday, July 22nd from 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM at Jupiter Hall, 89 Hanover Street in Manchester.  The cost is $10 in advance, $15 at the door. 

While you're at Jupiter Hall, be sure to check out Art Social Manchester's pop up gallery.  In addition to works from local artists, there will be live music performances throughout the day by talented local musicians! The pop-up gallery is a free event. 

On the science & tech side of STEAM the SBIR Road Tour will be returning to Manchester on Thursday, August 23rd. 

The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program is a federal program "created to support scientific excellence and technological innovation through the investment of federal research funds in critical American priorities to build a strong national economy ... one business at a time." (click here for details)

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Did you know there are 12,500 dairy cows producing $50,778,000 worth of milk in New Hampshire?  Our family farms may not be big business, but when you think about their combined efforts, it's a lot of hay. (The state grows 77,000 tons of hay worth $9,478,000 too.) In fact, our state's small farms are a local source for a surprising amount of fresh dairy, meat, and produce. 

Which brings us to the question of why the heck I'm talking about farming. 

A lot of the groups on the STEAM calendar are on a summer hiatus, so I thought I'd take a minute to talk about an upcoming agricultural event from the folks at The Lakes Region Food Network (LRFN).

We spend so much time talking about technology it's easy to forget New Hampshire is home to 4,400 farms raising cattle for beef and dairy as well as chickens, hogs, and a huge variety of crops. I have no idea if farming falls under science, tech, engineering, art, and math or regular old business, but I suspect it's science so I'm going to talk about it here. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

ManchesterInkLink.com is Celebrating Their 4th Anniversary! 

Join Manchester's favorite reporter (now publisher!) Carol Robidoux from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Thursday, June 28th as she celebrates the 4th anniversary of her hyperlocal news website ManchesterInkLink.com

As more and more newspapers close their doors, it's refreshing to see that a top-quality online local news outlet can gain a foothold and thrive, even in a state as small as New Hampshire.

Kudos to Robidoux and her team for believing in the possibility and staying strong in spite of the naysayers. They provide a valuable service to the people of southern New Hampshire and we appreciate all their hard work. 

If you'd like to join Thursday's festivities, the party will be held from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM at WBC Office Suites - 1087 Elm Street - #2nd Floor in Manchester. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

In case you missed it the first time... StayWorkPlay is doing another presentation of their survey findings

If you take a peek down the page you'll see that next week's business and networking events calendar is overflowing with events.  Before I get to this week's top picks, I wanted to take a minute to mention a couple important meetings that could easily get lost in the noise.

The first event is the Coffee and Conversations: To Stay or To Go Survey Presentation 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM on Wednesday, June 13th at the UNH Law School, 2 White Street Warren B Rudman Center Room 204 in Concord. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Art Social Manchester - Experience an afternoon filled with art and live music 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM Sunday, June 10th at Jupiter Hall in Manchester! (It's FREE!!!)

Sometimes when I'm out walking, especially in the evening when people have the lights on and the curtains open, I take a peek at the art they have hanging in their living rooms.   I wish I could say I'm enthralled by what I see, but most of the time the walls are bare. 

It's kind of sad.  

I don't know why people are intimidated by the idea of original art.  Maybe they think art is something you have to be wealthy to enjoy.  Maybe they worry they won't understand it.  Maybe they're afraid looking at a piece will compel them to say something nice to the artist.  Whatever it is, they're overthinking it.

Art is a celebration of life. 

Sometimes it's a burst of joy that brightens a cloudy day, other times it's a reminder of people, places, or events.

Art is for everyone.

You don't have to be rich and you don't have to have some sort of insider knowledge about what the artist was thinking when they made it.  

What you do need is a desire to be open to whatever feeling or memory a piece evokes.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

New group! -- Songwriters of New Hampshire meeting Saturday, May 19th

According to their meetup.com page, the Songwriters of New Hampshire welcomes "Songwriters at all levels are invited to share their original songs, melodies and lyrics."

They meet the third Saturday of the month from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM in the Chandler Memorial Wing in the Large Meeting Room of the Nashua Public Library, 2 Court Street Nashua, NH

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Updates & 3 Free Webinars for Your Business!

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone was interested in seeing a regular post with webinars presented by local businesses. 

Not surprising, a lot of people said yes. 

The thing that did make me scratch my head was that every person who responded was looking for a webinar. 

You read that right. I did not hear from one business owner.

Since this is a resource people are looking for I'm going to leave it on the table.  Now that the NH Business Directory is expanding services I don't have the time to chase down leads, but if I come across a webinar or if someone wants to send me information about a webinar they are hosting I will gladly share it.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

I just found 2 creative events for storytellers on Saturday, April 7th

Please forgive the late notice, I just found out about these events this morning.

The Derry Public Library is presenting Derry Author Fest 2018 from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM Saturday, April 7th at the Derry Public Library, 64 E. Broadway, Derry, NH.  

This is a fantastic opportunity for writers and anyone interested in becoming a published writer to network, and get tips and advice from local authors about dealing with critics and rejection, getting published, and marketing your book.

They've put together an amazing lineup and it should be a very useful and informative event. 

Did I mention that it's free?  

For more information, please visit the Derry Author Fest website. (Be sure to click the video, they did a really nice job with it.)

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Heads Up - Oracle Dyn in Manchester is HIRING!

Oracle Dyn will be hosting a recruiting and networking event on Thursday, March 22nd from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at their Manchester office, 150 Dow Street. 

This is a big deal. This time last year there were a lot of concerned whispers about whether Dyn would remain a driving force in the local tech economy after their acquisition by Oracle and it's nice to see that not only are they staying, they're hiring. And it's not just techs.

A quick look at the current openings for the Manchester office shows 28 job postings for software engineers, hr people, sales, and support. (Yes, it does look like they added a couple jobs since Monday's "5 Opportunities to Find Your Perfect Job Now!" post)

The Eventbrite listing suggests that you take a look at their current openings and if you see a position you're interested in, go ahead and apply online then bring a copy of your resume to the event.

Don't forget, this is also a fabulous industry networking opportunity. 

Whether you are a tech person or someone looking to bring non-tech skills to a tech company, this is a great opportunity to get a lead on a new job and meet some industry people. 

Read full post »