Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Feeling the Geek Love - Three Tech Groups Bringing Technology, Information, and Security to You, Your Business, and Your Community

At the time of year when tech groups usually go on hiatus, we've got two groups stepping up with timely content, and a brand new group focussed on the latest buzz in data management and security.

The New Hampshire Chapter of the International Systems and Security Association (ISSA) is hosting a discussion called "Are We Ready? Examining United States Readiness for Cyber-attacks on the Power Grid" 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Wednesday, November 15th, in Portsmouth.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Are You an Engineer, Science or Tech Looking for a Professional Group?

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, otherwise known as IEEE, has an active chapter right here in New Hampshire. 

IEEE's website says they are the "world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity" and based on the number of groups, sub-groups, areas of interest, conferences, publications, and communities, I'd have to say they have everything on the science and tech side covered. 

If you're an engineer, tech, scientist or professional geek who is feeling a little left out of the casual meetup groups, take a minute to check out the IEEE group's website.  Chances are good they have a community for you.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Society of Women Engineers

This week, I want to give a quick shout out to the Southern New Hampshire chapter of the Society of Women Engineers.

Their September event is 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM on Monday, September 25th at The Farm Bar & Grille, 1181 Elm Street, Manchester and speaker Sharon Nichols will be presenting "Leading with Intention."

According to their website, "The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is a nonprofit educational and service organization that empowers women to succeed and advance in the field of engineering and to be recognized for their life-changing contributions as engineers and leaders."  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Ssshhh....Alpha Loft is Moving!

I'm not sure why this seems like some kind of state secret, but Alpha Loft Manchester is moving to the 2nd floor of 1087 Elm Street on October 1st.  

It's kind of weird since it's been in the Union Leader and I've personally confirmed it with the peeps at Alpha Loft, but you will find almost no mention of it anywhere on the web.  (Not even on Alpha Loft's website...)

I wish I could say I'm going to miss the wonky conference room floor of their old space at 844 Elm Street, but I'm not.  It was always a toss up between showing up early for a prime end-of-table spot and risking a parking ticket at the time-sensitive meters or spend an entire meeting trying to keep your chair from rolling on the steeply slanted floor so you didn't break a rib when you hit the conference table.  

Read full post »