Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

It's not just reporting and news writing...Loeb School classes include digital, audio, and visual media as well as traditional print journalism and it's completely free.

When was the last time you had an opportunity to take a free, six-week hands-on course taught by noted experts on subjects relevant to both your personal and professional lives?

The Nackey S. Loeb School of Communications has announced the schedule for their winter classes, including six free classes developed to give you the skills you need to be comfortable, articulate, and confident, no matter how you communicate.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

What is your pain point?

Have you ever had one of those days when you were so frustrated you wanted to drop kick your computer across the room?

Sometimes you just need a little help, the answer to one simple question. Other times it's a little more complicated.

It's usually an easy fix for someone who knows what they're doing, but you don't have the time or money to find the person with the answers.

It's okay, we've all been there.  In fact, I get so many people asking where to find help with their business questions that I started curating a list of tools and resources to help you solve your most pressing problems.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Queen City Buzz is already the go-to source for business information and resources in the Granite State, why not put your business in front of the fastest growing NH audience?

Back in the day, if you wanted to reach a local audience you looked in the Yellow Pages or took out an ad in the local paper. It was an expensive, but effective way to reach a targeted local market, but times have changed.

The internet replaced old-school print as the preferred search tool for people looking for local businesses and services, and while you can't argue that digital is a whole lot easier on the average small business owner's budget, the results aren't necessarily the better.

Unlike the local phone company or newspaper who conveniently delivered your ad right to your customer's doorstep, internet searches frequently result in companies located across the country or even the other side of the world.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Queen City Buzz is already the go-to source for business information and resources in the Granite State, why not put your business in front of the fastest growing NH audience?

Back in the day, if you wanted to reach a local audience you looked in the Yellow Pages or took out an ad in the local paper. It was an expensive, but effective way to reach a targeted local market, but times have changed.

The internet replaced old-school print as the preferred search tool for people looking for local businesses and services, and while you can't argue that digital is a whole lot easier on the average small business owner's budget, the results aren't necessarily the better.

Unlike the local phone company or newspaper who conveniently delivered your ad right to your customer's doorstep, internet searches frequently result in companies located across the country or even the other side of the world.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

The SBA, It's Not Just Loans

I get a lot of questions from people about what resources are available for small business owners and where they can find help for basic, and not so basic, business questions so I decided it was past time for me to sit down and share the skinny on the big daddy of small business resources, the Small Business Administration.

The first thing most people think of when they hear Small Business Administration (SBA) is loans.

And yes, the SBA guarantees a variety of loan programs through local lenders, but that is a topic for another day. Today I am giving you an overview of who the SBA is and how the NH District of the SBA can help you.

If I had to sum it up with one line, the Small Business Administration (SBA) is your strategic partner for starting and growing a business in the United States.

Originally created as the result of the Small Business Act of 1953[1.], the goal of the SBA was to provide "aid, counsel, assistance, etc., to small business concerns" so they could compete with larger corporations.

The idea was that with a little help, regular people could live the American dream of starting and owning a business and today's SBA has evolved to include a vast network of people, programs, and resources right here in New Hampshire to help you take your business from your initial concept to startup, growth and every step in between.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Live Free & Start

Did you know there is a statewide resource for entrepreneurs who are serious about starting and growing a business in the Granite State?

It's called Live Free and Start and is described on their website as a "joint initiative of the Governor’s Office, the Business Finance Authority and the Department of Resources and Economic Development aimed at creating jobs and making New Hampshire an even better place for innovative businesses to start, grow and succeed.[1]"

I haven't had time to go through their entire website, but on the surface, it looks like they have a platform to connect and share the top business mentors, coaches and resources from around the state. There are familiar faces, like Mark Kaplan from Alpha Loft and Hollis McGuire from the NH Small Business Development Center, as well as bios, blog posts and videos from other successful New Hampshire entrepreneurs.

This is a must see resource for anyone who is starting a business or trying to expand a business and I strongly urge you to take a few minutes to visit the Live Free and Start website.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Live Free & Start

Did you know there is a statewide resource for entrepreneurs who are serious about starting and growing a business in the Granite State?

It's called Live Free and Start and is described on their website as a "joint initiative of the Governor’s Office, the Business Finance Authority and the Department of Resources and Economic Development aimed at creating jobs and making New Hampshire an even better place for innovative businesses to start, grow and succeed.[1]"

I haven't had time to go through their entire website, but on the surface, it looks like they have a platform to connect and share the top business mentors, coaches and resources from around the state. There are familiar faces, like Mark Kaplan from Alpha Loft and Hollis McGuire from the NH Small Business Development Center, as well as bios, blog posts and videos from other successful New Hampshire entrepreneurs.

This is a must see resource for anyone who is starting a business or trying to expand a business and I strongly urge you to take a few minutes to visit the Live Free and Start website.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Changes are coming...

Anyone who read to the end of last week's Weekly Roundup knows that I am making some changes to the Queen City Buzz website this week.

As I've said before, my goal is to connect people, information and resources to help build a stronger local business community and since Queen City Buzz has started to become the go-to source for local business, networking and tech events I thought it made perfect sense to open up the sidebar to post your events and promotions.

Starting this week, I will be posting events and promotions for Queen City Buzz contributors and friends in the right sidebar.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Changes are coming...

Anyone who read to the end of last week's Weekly Roundup knows that I am making some changes to the Queen City Buzz website this week.

As I've said before, my goal is to connect people, information and resources to help build a stronger local business community and since Queen City Buzz has started to become the go-to source for local business, networking and tech events I thought it made perfect sense to open up the sidebar to post your events and promotions.

Starting this week, I will be posting events and promotions for Queen City Buzz contributors and friends in the right sidebar.

Read full post »