Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Golf: An Old School Classic That Never Gets Old...

It started on a sunny Thursday in May when I noticed a few golf tournaments on the events calendar. It was about the same time some of my networking friends began skipping regular lunches in favor of their weekly golf game. I didn't give it too much thought until the beginning of June when the number of golf tournaments popping up on Eventbrite jumped from five or six to twenty or thirty.

That was the point when I realized that golf might not be a pastime limited to doctors, judges, and old guys. In fact, I was beginning to wonder if golf might be the perfect networking vehicle for people who don't like networking.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: Looking at June

Before I get to this week's sneak peek, I want to mention an event from New England College called Connect The Dots: Mental Health & the Opioid Crisis on Tuesday, May 30th from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM at the Manchester Health Department 1528 Elm Street, Manchester. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/connect-the-dots-mental-health-the-opioid-crisis-an-interactive-panel-tickets-34477406852

When I was at the Exit Planning Exchange event the other day, Kyle York from Dyn said something that scared me. He was talking about a recent conversation he had with Dean Kamen and recalled that Kamen said the biggest challenge Manchester faces in attracting new business and new residents is the drug crisis.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Before I get to this week's sneak peek, I want to mention an event from New England College called Connect The Dots: Mental Health & the Opioid Crisis on Tuesday, May 30th from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM at the Manchester Health Department 1528 Elm Street, Manchester. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/connect-the-dots-mental-health-the-opioid-crisis-an-interactive-panel-tickets-34477406852

When I was at the Exit Planning Exchange event the other day, Kyle York from Dyn said something that scared me. He was talking about a recent conversation he had with Dean Kamen and recalled that Kamen said the biggest challenge Manchester faces in attracting new business and new residents is the drug crisis.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

More Sources Mean More Events!

Thanks to reader input I've added 8 new event sources and the Queen City Buzz Events Calendar has gone from active to explosive!

As much as I love the idea of finding more opportunities to network, a busy calendar can make it easy to miss something, so I'm going to point out a couple interesting events that are coming up in the next few weeks.

Highland Forwarding will be hosting a free seminar from the US Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security on Export Compliance on Tuesday, May 23rd from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM in their office at 6A Kitty Hawk Landing, #200, Londonderry, NH.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Couple Key Events for May

Two new big business events popped up when I was updating the Queen City Buzz Events Calendar this week.

The annual Alpha Loft Startup Shindig on Tuesday, May 23rd, from 4:30 PM - 8:30 PM. The Startup Shindig is a big deal for the local business community. It's a chance to rub elbow and celebrate the thriving entrepreneurial spirit in the Granite State.

As little as three years ago, there wasn't a whole lot going on around New Hampshire. Many people and companies were struggling post-recession and there was a lot of concern about the graying of New Hampshire. But our business community did what communities do best. They put their heads together and came up with a plan to reignite the spark. The Shindig is a celebration of community and a nod to what has been accomplished. Check out the event page on Eventbrite and get it on your calendar.

The second event that needs to be on your May calendar is the John Flatley Company's Startup Pitch Night. If you are starting or building your business, this competition is worth your notice.

Prizes for the winners, who will be chosen by a panel of judges, are:

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Look who's at the top of the page on Eventbrite!

It's a new month and a new quarter and that means that Queen City Buzz has two events next week.

Our NH Business Partner Finders group has its second meeting 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM on Monday, April 3rd at Aroma Joe's, 2 S. Beech Street, Manchester.

The NH Business Partner Finder Group is a quarterly networking group created for the express purpose of connecting local entrepreneurs and freelancers with other entrepreneurs and freelancers interested in collaborating on projects and/or becoming working business partners. If you're looking for a project or a partner, why not stop by. RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nh-business-partner-finder-group-how-to-find-your-dream-team-tickets-33077941012?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_event_email&utm_term=viewmyevent_button

Then on Tuesday, we have the monthly Coffee Buzz Networking from 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM at Aroma Joe's Coffee, 2 S. Beech Street, Manchester. This is a casual, open networking group to network, share referrals & connect with other local freelancers and small business owners. For more information please visit http://queencity.buzz/articles/new-quarter-new-opportunity-succeed

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

End of the Quarter - How's Your Networking?

I know it's hard to believe, but we're creeping up on the end of the first quarter which means it's time to take a look at where we stand on this year's networking goals.

Have you been getting to as many events as you wanted?

Are you participating in online groups on Linked In or Facebook?

Are you meeting the people who can connect you to your target audience?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I find it difficult to stay on top of things in January and February. The days are still short, you never know what the weather is going to do, and since I always want to get a jump start on things at the beginning of the year, I try to cram fourteen hours worth of work in an eight-hour day. It can be overwhelming, and when push comes to shove, networking is the easiest thing to cut from the schedule.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

New England's King of Networking

On this month's episode of Live from the Hive I am talking with New England's un-official King of Networking, the one and only Kevin Willett.

For anyone who hasn't met Kevin, I can guarantee you that it is just a matter of time.

This man is everywhere and he's connected to just about everyone in southern New Hampshire and the Greater Boston area.

In addition to his role as a professional networker through his eponymous Friends of Kevin networking group, Willett also manages the New England B2B Networking group, hosts the Friends of Kevin Radio Show, and the Business as Usual television show.

You might even say when it comes to networking, Willett has been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, and wrote the book about it.

And it would be true.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

10 Minutes to Jump Start Your Networking!

This week I have a super easy little tip that will help you jump start your networking.

Put it on the calendar.

Not only will this force you to make the commitment to set aside time for networking, it will ensure you remember there was a group or event you were interested in.

Networking is one of those things that's easy to put off or forget, so why not hedge your bets by taking 10 minutes a week to look at your options and add one or two things to the calendar?

And this tip isn't just for people who hate networking.

We all get caught up in other activities, lose track of time and realize that there was an event we wanted to attend two weeks ago.

I'll even throw in a bonus tip to make keeping a networking calendar even easier.

Read full post »