Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

TEDxAmoskeagMillyard 2018 - Get Your Tickets NOW!

Who hasn't watched a TED Talk online and thought how cool it would be to be there for the live presentation? 

Thanks to locally organized TEDx events, you can attend live TED Talks right here in the Granite State. 

TEDxAmoskeagMillyard is hosting their 2018 event on Saturday, June 2nd from 9:00 am - 3:30 PM in the Stockbridge Theater at Pinkerton Academy in Derry, NH. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Updates & 3 Free Webinars for Your Business!

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone was interested in seeing a regular post with webinars presented by local businesses. 

Not surprising, a lot of people said yes. 

The thing that did make me scratch my head was that every person who responded was looking for a webinar. 

You read that right. I did not hear from one business owner.

Since this is a resource people are looking for I'm going to leave it on the table.  Now that the NH Business Directory is expanding services I don't have the time to chase down leads, but if I come across a webinar or if someone wants to send me information about a webinar they are hosting I will gladly share it.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

The NH High Tech Council is looking for applicants for the 2018 Entrepreneur of the Year program -- Deadline Friday, May 4, 2018

Now in its 30th year, the prestigious NH High Tech Council (NHHTC) Entrepreneur of the Year Award "honors people who have made significant contributions to the advancement of technology-based businesses in New Hampshire."   

NHHTC is seeking "any founder or senior-level manager of a New Hampshire business who has successfully organized, developed, or managed a technology concept into a commercial product or service"

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Hippo Press Best of 2018 - Reader's picks for the best businesses in southern New Hampshire

Good news for all you business geeks and groupies, the Hippo Press readers have spoken and the results for the Best of 2018 are in. 

The list of this year's winners is far too long for the two inches of space I have here, but I will give a shout out to my buddies at Pro Image Automotive for being named the Best of the Best in the Auto Repair category. 

Way to go Mike, Christine, Scott, and all the guys in the back!!!

Awards like this are a big deal for local business owners because it shows that not only did they do a good job, but they made a connection with their customers.  And as we all know, once you have that connection you will have a repeat customer who is happy to recommend you and your business to their friends and family.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Wow! 7 Days of Creative, Science & Tech Events. I don't know what's going on, but it doesn't get any better than this.

Next week's events calendar has art shows & fundraisers, a mental health job fair, a TEDx event, and way more tech than I can handle.  (That VPN/Cisco talk on Monday evening looks very interesting.)

And having said all that, I want to take a minute to talk about art. 

There's no tactful way to say it. The arts are to business what canaries are to coal miners. And right now, the New Hampshire art scene is booming. 

There are art shows, theater groups, classes and hands-on training events popping up all over the place. They're bringing the promise of new ideas and the belief that the economy really is better.

You don't have to be a creative to appreciate how this trend reflects on our communities.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Visit the Made in NH Expo - Friday, Saturday & Sunday @The Downtown Hotel (Formerly the Radisson) 700 Elm Street, Manchester!

It's April in the Granite State and you know what that means, it's time for the annual Made in NH Expo. (cue the cheers)

With the last count at 122 exhibitors, the Made in NH Expo is the state's premier event for connecting people to local businesses and it is happening today.

This event draws a huge cross-section of exhibitors and visitors representing just about every product and service in the Granite State from homemade hot sauce to local restaurants, pet products, clothing, and local craftsmen. It's a great way to get a look at what other people are doing and support local businesses.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

I just found 2 creative events for storytellers on Saturday, April 7th

Please forgive the late notice, I just found out about these events this morning.

The Derry Public Library is presenting Derry Author Fest 2018 from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM Saturday, April 7th at the Derry Public Library, 64 E. Broadway, Derry, NH.  

This is a fantastic opportunity for writers and anyone interested in becoming a published writer to network, and get tips and advice from local authors about dealing with critics and rejection, getting published, and marketing your book.

They've put together an amazing lineup and it should be a very useful and informative event. 

Did I mention that it's free?  

For more information, please visit the Derry Author Fest website. (Be sure to click the video, they did a really nice job with it.)

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Nice Job TriTown Chamber of Commerce!  

One of my networking buddies sent me a link to an upcoming event from the TriTown Chamber of Commerce and I was so impressed by the level of service this tiny group provides to members that I have to give them an 'atta girl.

The TriTown Chamber of Commerce actively promotes and supports businesses in Goffstown, New Boston, and Weare, NH by connecting members to resources, fostering community involvement and hosting events like Tuesday's Business After Hours, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at Allison Hope Photography, 81 Mont Vernon Road, New Boston. 

In addition to hosting business events, TriTown's website is easy to navigate and provides a gateway to information small business owners are looking for such as SCORE webinars, news about state bills, and articles of interest from local and national business leaders.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

City Arts Nashua and Nashua Arts Commission raise ~ $12,000 for Performing Arts Center Endowment Fund  at 5th Annual Meri Goyette Arts Award Luncheon

I'm going to say this as plainly as I can, businesses may bring jobs, but the arts build communities. 

Last week, City Arts Nashua held the grown-up version of a bake sale. They held an awards luncheon to raise money for the new Nashua Performing Arts Center and raised a staggering $12,000. 

As a state, New Hampshire struggles to attract and retain young workers because even though we have a low unemployment rate and enjoy a fabulous quality of life, we lack many of the amenities found in large cities. 

And when I say amenities I mean the arts. 

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about theatre, fine art, dance, music, or poetry, the arts bring balance and beauty to a hectic world. They bring people together to share the experience and build something greater than themselves and people want these experiences after a hectic day.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Here's one for all the HR professionals - Cookson Strategic Communications is presenting the Connecting Workforce Resources Spring Tour to bring human resource programs to you.

The Cookson team has put together an event for you to learn about the many employment-related programs available to your business.

• Sector Partnerships Initiative (SPI)
  • ApprenticeshipNH
  • Office of Workforce Opportunity
  • WorkReadyNH
  • Individual College Business Training Centers
  • Department of Employment Security

It's not an exaggeration to say that between our aging workforce and the very low unemployment rate, finding and keeping workers with the skills companies need is the primary challenge to both employers and the future of New Hampshire's economy.

This free event is a great opportunity for any hiring manager who struggles with these issues to connect with available resources and learn how they can help you grow your business.

Join them from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM on Thursday, March 29th at Manchester Community College, 1066 Front Street in Manchester. 

Read full post »